Heater Control Valve Choices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Control Valve Choices?

I read somewhere about bad, better, and good replacement heater valves. I see two different types of the same valves for sale: one type from MM (http://www.minimania.com/part/13H550...Valve-Straight) and one type from Se7en (http://www.7ent.com/products/heater-...i-adu9102.html). Is one of these better than the other? Mine is leaking a bit where the actuating arm goes into the valve. Any suggestions? Thanks,
    Last edited by FiremarshalBill; 07-19-2014, 08:38 PM.
    Firemarshal Bill
    78' Mini 1000

A couple of months back, MM dropped the latest version of ADU9102 that they were receiving because of its poor construction; i.e., leaking shortly after installation. That's why you still see it mentioned on the web site under the 13H550 description, but you can't find it. It is likely Seven's ADU is from the same source. Things change so I suggest you contact info@minimania.com to get the story.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Hmmm? As I pulled into my garage after coming home from church this morning I heard a "pop" from under the hood. I immediately shut down the engine, opened the hood and found this...

Apparently the front end of my heater control valve simply popped off spraying hot nasty coolant all over the engine! Now what? If the only available ADU9102 control valves from MM & Se7en are crap, what are my options?
      Firemarshal Bill
      78' Mini 1000

Comment

The choices, none of them convenient, are to find something used or find one NOS (check with Nick at Min-E-Bitz in the UK). You could try a valve from a Sprite/Midget or an MGB. They won't be a perfect replacement but they would direct hot water to the right places.

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I did some digging (including talking with people I know who would know the right answers) and the consensus is that there is no Mini heater valve, at this time, that is much good. The worst is the one you have (or had!). I understand there is some scrambling going on in England to fix the problem, but right now there doesn't appear to be an answer, other than Kelly's suggestions or going for one of the various heater take-offs that do not have an on/off valve.
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. For the short term I've ordered a new 13H5506 and hope it doesn't leak and lasts until an acceptable replacement valve becomes available.
            Last edited by FiremarshalBill; 07-22-2014, 06:44 AM.
            Firemarshal Bill
            78' Mini 1000

Comment

Heater control valve update:

I had ordered a 13H5506 valve from MM but apparently the valves are back ordered, and every one of their next expected shipment (in August) has already been allocated/sold. So I did some searching and found a NOS valve from Heritage Garage in Costa Mesa, CA. It wasn't cheap but 2 days after ordering it, the valve is installed with no leaks and working great. The quality is also noticeably better than the old one.

BTW, 13H5506 replacement heater control valves are still available from Somerford Mini (www.somerfordmini.co.uk) for about $40.00 including shipping (about half what a NOS valve costs) and I bought a spare just to have on hand.

Thanks for all the research and input. FB
              Firemarshal Bill
              78' Mini 1000

Comment

I know this is an old thread but seemed like a good place to document my experience. My heater valve failed recently (JJB10011) the floating type from 1989 to 1996. I thought about ordering another plastic one from Minispares or minimania but they were expensive or out of stock. I found a suggestion on an MG forum to use an old Ford Bronco valve. It works perfectly with the cable throw & hose diameter and is all metal so it won't crack the inlet/outlet tube when you tighen the hose clamps (like mine did) Its a Four Seasons 74828 heater valve (link)

Hope this helps anyone who has a similar issue.
                -Ryan

Comment

Working...
                X