No announcement yet.

Engine block coolant drain plug stuck.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine block coolant drain plug stuck.

Hi all, I had my bypass hose spring a leak so I'm replacing all the hoses now. Engine is staying in the car. (Pre-A+ 1380)

Water pump and all the hoses are off now. The one thing I can't get out is the drain port on the back of the block. Are they traditionally put in with a sealant or something? Or is it most likely rust that has it stuck? Is penetrating lube and time the way to go here?

I tried pretty hard with the limited access I've got but didn't want to break anything. And wondered about getting it back in tight afterwards.

Thanks a lot,
    Dave
    1979 Canadian Mini Saloon

They are usually very well stuck and as you say there isn't much room to work. If you manage to get it out, you will probably find that the opening behind the plug is sealed with debris that has settled out of the coolant. When this is the case you will need to push something in there to dig out the debris, again with little room to work. So I don't really have any good advice, the worst that can happen though is that you round off the plug. You could try heating the plug with a small oxy-acetylene torch but there is that access problem again. Hopefully someone else will have a solution.

Kelley
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Hmm, thanks for the info. So if the debris is that stuck in there you need to pick it out, I'm considering skipping getting the plug out. Do the the plugs get stuck because nobody ever bothers with them?

I've also got a few days till I'll be able to work on it again so I may add penetrating lube to it and wait.

-Dave

Comment

The plug usually only gets removed when rebuilding the engine. We should all remove it every few years when we change the coolant and the brake fluid but you know how that goes.
        You can also try hitting the plug with a hammer. If the hammer won't fit you can tap the plug with a cold chisel and a hammer. It may help break the seal to allow the penetrant in.

Kelley

Comment

I'm back from a vacation and back to getting the Mini running again. I managed to get the plug out. Got lucky and my longest ratchet handle lined up with the gap I had to work with.

I've cleaned things out and flushed well with water. Before putting the plug back in, do they go in with sealant? Anti seize? Teflon Tape? Nothing? All it appears to have is a washer on it.

Comment

If it's a copper washer that would act as a seal.

Kelley

Comment

Working...
            X