Minis and Fuses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minis and Fuses

Sometime, probably shortly after the dinosaurs disappeared, someone who knew a lot more about Minis than I did, told me not to use fuses in a Mini that I could buy at my local auto parts store, unless I knew the difference between British fuses and U.S. fuses. I've followed the advice ever since, but didn't give it any thought.

Recently, I had reason to question the advice and found this. You may find it interesting...and helpful.

http://www.mgtoronto.com/pdf/Tech/fuses.pdf
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Good info, Chuck. Thanks.

Comment

Very useful Chuck, thank you for posting that. As is mentioned, best option is to use original British fuses.

Comment

And a good source (local and otherwise) for those would be.......

Used to go down to BAP (British Auto Parts) or George Grast on Capitol Hill. These days, Autosport perhaps?
        Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
        1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

I m confused, I think I sell my cars.
          peter

Comment

Instead of selling Peter, use a 15 or 20 amp American fuse in place of the British 35.
            Don

Comment

Here's a link to an article with conversion charts.

Real British fuses can be had at Moss Motors and Victoria British. Seven sells fuses, but they don't tell you anything about the specs.

Dan
              Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Don,
                thgks for the help, but I was just
                Con -fused -
                peter

Comment

Good one, Peter!

The Mini Mania 35 amp are British type. I haven't checked the others.
                  The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

In taking with Brad, Autosport carry a good selection of Lucas fuses and any amp rating they may not have in stock can be ordered from one of their sources.

Comment

Working...
                    X