Fan hitting shroud after radiator change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan hitting shroud after radiator change

I spent the day replacing the radiator in the van. However, when I fired it up, the fan was hitting the shroud and began wearing the edge off the fan blades. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Mitch & Teri
    Frankenvan--1961 Australian Van
    Mini Cabriolet

You should probably loosen up all the bolts, Mitch, and fiddle with the rad and shroud to get it where the assembly doesn't catch the fan. Then carefully tighten everything up. And don't test it with the starter; turn the engine by hand.

You might also have to change the bracket from the thermostat housing to the shroud.
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

The lower shroud is 1/4 of an inch narrower on each side and hitting the fan. Are the shrouds supposed to be flush and I just reassembled it wrong or is that 1/4 inch gap normal. The manual only has diagrams for a single piece shroud. Suggestions on fixing?
      Mitch & Teri
      Frankenvan--1961 Australian Van
      Mini Cabriolet

Comment

What lower damper do you have? Reason to ask is this determines the lower mount and shroud and the spacers to use for the fan. Choices are just the plain pulley, elastomeric 1300/1275 damper, Cooper S larger diameter damper. Once that is sorted out then the top bracket can be chosen. BTW if your not stuck on originality order a full single piece shroud it make servicing the cooling system way easier. I know this doesn't seem to answer your question but invariably the mini will have a mixture of mounts 1100/mini and sometimes the mounts are bent to work making for mystery problems like your having. Aaron
        racecar spelled backwards is racecar

Comment

Working...
        X