Maryhill Concours/Hillclimb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryhill Concours/Hillclimb

Chuck, Jerry and I left for Klickitat County last Friday. Instead of taking a more direct easterly route, we headed north to cross Stevens Pass.

After a lunch in Leavenworth, we turned south and climbed Blewett Pass, then dropped into Ellensburg and followed Canyon Road into Yakima. After one more summit -- Satus Pass -- we passed through the Goldendale area into the Columbia Gorge, where we spent the night at Biggs Junction.

Bright and early Saturday morning we drove up to the Maryhill Museum, site of the Concours du Maryhill Loops.

The show, as always, was real mix of hot rods, antiques and European iron, including five Minis.

In addition to the SAMOA cars, Dave Munsey's OMS Marcos was there, and a 20th Anniversary Special Edition car was parked a couple of rows away.
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Minis get a lot of attention at Maryhill.

And the odd Japanese car will draw attention as well (emphasis on the "odd").

This beautiful Bentley was also participating in Sunday's hillclimb.

As the afternoon winds down, class-winning cars are driven past the crowd to receive their trophies. This Sonett took top honors in the Swedish Class.

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

On Sunday morning, we were the first spectators to park at the Hwy 97 viewpoint. It's located across a broad gully from the top of the course, but it gave us a great view of the racers as they twisted their way up the Loops. Larry Sandham's Vauxhall-powered Clubbie seemed to be one of the faster cars.

This Mustang V8 made sweet music as it wound up the hill.

The '24 Bentley (its owner described the experience as "like driving a very nice tractor") wasn't screamingly fast, but it still put on a heck of a show.

Dan
      Dan

Comment

Some may remember this red Sprite from the races during the Portland ABFM.

After the hillclimb, we drove down to the Stonehenge Memorial to snap a few photos -- and answer questions about our cars.

On Monday morning, the drive home started with a run down Klickitat Canyon. Winding from Goldendale to Lyle on the Columbia River, the canyon writhes and twists and bucks like a bronco. In addition to negotiating all those curves, we dodged deer, turkey and a couple of clueless dogs. Fortunately, no animals were hurt during the ordeal.

We followed the Columbia to Vancouver, where we turned north and wound our way toward home. Sadly, we had to jump on I-5 for a time to avoid an hours-long traffic tie-up on Old Pacific Highway between La Center and Woodland. Still, it was a great driving weekend with fall colors, mountain passes, river canyons and cars, cars and more cars.
        Dan

Comment

Great story & photos Dan. Thank you for posting.

Comment

Just a little jaunt. Slightly more than 700 miles.
            The Bentley (1924 model) had familiar sounding statistics. Top speed: 100 mph. "Sweet spot" cruising speed: 65 mph
            Never been on the Klickitat Canyon road before. Will be looking for excuses to do it, again.
            The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I've flown through the Columbia River Gorge dozens of times, but had forgotten how truly spectacular the scenery is. Don't ever take this part of the country for granted. We are very lucky.

Comment

Working...
              X