No announcement yet.

SAMOA Shoot-out ( Dyno Day ) 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've put in a call for follow up / confirmation of our Saturday event and will add this to our discussion. They are closed mondays, so I should have more info on Tuesday / wednesday.

Just out of curiousity, do you already have the correct sensor / 02 sensor ready to screw into your exhaust's bung? And, if so, what type of connector does that sensor output to?

Best,
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

I have a bung installed in the y piece of the LCB that accepts a standard sized O2 sensor that connects to its own integral system.

Comment

Jerry, Et Al, -- Thank you all for your interest! It's this Saturday morning!

There is no need for any car mounted A/F related equip, ( O2, sensor, bung, etc. ) because they've confirmed they have, as part of the dyno, a tailpipe sniffer which will show your A/F ratio while being run And on the graph of your HP and Torques. So, as long as your tailpipe is accessible, the sniffer can be stuck up there while your pull is being recorded.(I'm told this is correct within approx 2 % of what a collector mounted device might be. )

UPDATE ON TIME!
        They open at 10, and hope to have first car on the rollers at approx. 10:30.

Breakfast opportunity/opportunities: Does anyone, please, have access to coffee, donuts, etc that they can bring along? We'll have a table ready.

If anyone that hasn't chimed in is planning on running the dyno, please do chime in now so we can get a better idea of total number of cars.
        Finally, can someone please update this info to the FB site?
        I'll look forward to seeing you all there! Best, MSH

Comment

I m unable to make to the event Saturday, to many things happening

good luck

peter

Comment

Dyno day is this Saturday at 10 a.m.

Peter, thanks for the follow up. My best to you and Joan.
            Everyone else, I hope you'll be able to make it

Best,
            MSH

Comment

Mark, Thanks for the dyno event I hope it happens again next year, I have been going to Carb connection since 2011 and went with a stock 1100 of Herbert's "Denise" started with very low HP and barely made it there under its own power. Left with 34 hp ATW running spritely. That car was set with totally stock needles and springs. Ended up changing them and started seeing the value of the dyno for jetting. The best value i have seen though is in a break in of an engine. They have a process of nine runs that gets the engine broken in and the jetting is checked and timing adjustments made. In the end they can be run full throttle and i know that they will not be doing damage to themselves. Too lean and the combustion temps are high and long term burning of valves could be an issue. Too rich and the fuel washes oil off the walls and the piston rings wear and they loose tension the engine starts burning oil and in some cases the engine bores wear fast. All stuff you probably already know. Mike Prez was waiting to run on the Dyno because we were in process of "testing" and yesterday was not an exception. Gregg Temkins Twincam conversion is being continually upgraded and we have some things we still are sorting out. This engine had been on the dyno last year but it was with the front facing ITB's (individual Throttle bodies) Mike has a lightweight flywheel and we have problems with the idle because of it not being stable we are going to put a heavier flywheel in to cure that issue. The best information from yesterday was the low and mid range hp was up about 2-3 in the low end and 4-6 hp in the mid to upper range. The only change was the addition of the plenum manifold. I still think there is a couple more hp there adjusting the size and length of the manifold and some cam timing adjustments. Hoping for 100 hp on a NA A series engine next time. Thanks again. Aaron
              racecar spelled backwards is racecar

Comment

Aaron's talking about a totally streetable A-series motor putting out 100bhp at the wheels! They only managed 90bhp(!) yesterday.

My thanks also go to Mark for putting together a fun, exciting and educational event.
                Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
                1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

I'd love to hear more results! How many cars showed up? Anyone want to share their statistics? I remember in Mini Magazine (back when I had a subscription years ago; maybe they still do it?) that they'd invite a local (British) Mini club for a dyno day and report the results on all the cars that ran; it was one of my favorite features, seeing how the 998s compared to the 1300s compared to the turbos etc. There were often surprises -- carefully adjusted smaller-displacement and normally aspirated cars would often beat out guys with big engines and turbos. Anyone else sharing results?

Comment

Hi Shane,
                    It is being compiled, written, pics included, etc. Will have within 2 weeks. Thanks for your interest.
                    It was quite fun; everyone should come out with their car next year!
                    Best,
                    MSH

Comment

Here's what you have to compete against (he brags!).

Run at Fairlady Motors in May 2008.

1360cc engine I built for MOKE.

110hp at the wheels at 6500rpm.

102lb ft torque at 4300 rpm. (70lb ft torque by 1550rpm!)

Very easy to drive at lower speeds.

Engine running 8psi compression.

The wonders of a supercharger.
                      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Which blower?

Hi Chuck- which supercharger did you use?

Comment

I used the supercharger set up that Mini Mania used to sell.
                          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

There is a bit of event info on the blog. More info to come from Mark.

Look here in "recent events": https://seattleoriginalminis.wordpress.com

Not that it will help much but the guy at CarbConn pointed out that results vary between the type of dyno used at Fairlady and the one at CarbConn. Wish I could remember which one gave the bigger numbers. Dan? Jerry?
                            Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
                            1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

I seem to recall that Doug at Fairlady was convinced that his Mustang Dyno gave more accurate figures. Higher or lower than CarcConn, dunno. I’m going to try and get back to Doug for a run on his dyno for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X