• Mmw18

Anyone caravanning down?
    When?
    Driving I-5, I-205, then east?
    Let's get a discussion going
    Best
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Anything but I-5 and I-84 (ugh). Probably the same route to Portlandia as we've used in the past for the ABFM except turning eastbound on hwy 14, crossing the river to Hood River at White Salmon.
    OR
    A longer route is south on back roads to intersect hwy 12, then east to White Pass /Yakima/ hwy 97/Goldendale, Hwy 142 to Lyle. Hwy 14 west to White Salmon.
    OR
    410 over Chinook Pass then east to Yakima/hwy 97/Goldendale. Hwy 142 to Lyle. Hwy 14 west to White Salmon.
    OR
    NFD 25-Never mind on this road. I talked to the Ranger station in Randle today and its still closed, probably wont open 'til late June. Just as well. The last time I drove it I felt lucky not to have damaged the suspension. Its that frost heaved, clearly more suited for Forest Service trucks.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-06-2018, 09:57 AM. Reason: route change.

Comment

Any thoughts??

Comment

Jerry, your report on NFD 25 shoots a hole in my plan. Was the whole thing bad or just sections?

I'd ridden parts of it on a dual sport motorcycle years ago. I remember having to zig zag a lot around things between the Windy Ridge turn off and Randle. I don't remember it being bad further south but I have not seen the whole thing.

An idea for a variation on the 97 route. Around 15-20 years ago my wife and I drove Highway 142 between Goldendale and Lyle. (I think) If I'm remembering correctly it's a pretty good one for turns and elevation change. Runs down a river valley and many more curves than 97. We were in a Subaru Forester. Google shows it's 10 min longer than taking 97 to 14.

How's the "normal route to Portlandia" go generally? Staying in the I-5 corridor on side roads?

Dave
        1979 Canadian Mini Saloon

Comment

The normal route to Portlandia flows south pretty much on the eastern side of I-5 (or if you're from California, THE I-5). Hwy 507 through Roy, McKenna, Centrailia and Castle Rock. I had forgotten about Hwy 142. Dan and I drove it a couple of years ago from Goldendale to Lyle and its a great road for a mini, no traffic and as you said elevation changes and curves. Consider that portion of the route changed. Thanks for the reminder.
          Last edited by Jerry; 06-06-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I grew up in LA (SoCal) and we always seemed to refer to it simply as "5" as-in: "We're taking 5 north to Gorman and then heading east on 138".

Has NF-23 (that ends up at Trout Lake & Hwy 141) ever been driven by any of you?

Comment

I believe we tried "the" 23 many years ago, several miles into the forest the road was closed. No advance warning. Very dusty and bumpy on the way in and the way out.
              Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
              1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

NF-23 over Babyshoe Pass is gravel for much of the way.

I won't be going to Hood River, but if I was, here's the route I'd consider: Hwy 203 north through Duvall, then east on Ben Howard Road to Sultan. Turn right onto Hwy 2, cross Stevens Pass, maybe have lunch in Leavenworth. Just past Peshastin turn right onto Hwy 97, climb over Blewett Pass and continue on to Ellensburg. Take Canyon Rd south through Selah (maybe have lunch there; Jerry knows a great place) and connect up with Hwy 82 just above Yakima. Stay on 82 through Union Gap and get off on Exit 50. You could take a side trip to visit the Church of God, Zillah, or you could immediately head south on 97, over Satus Pass to Goldendale. Get off at Goldendale and cut west on Hwy 142 and follow the Klickitat Canyon as it bends south to Lyle. Turn right at Lyle onto Hwy 14 and follow it for a few miles to the toll bridge to Hood River.

In less than a day, you've crossed three beautiful mountain passes and wound down two of the most entertaining river valleys in the state. And you've traveled minimal freeway miles on the trip (Hwy 82). Your Mini will thank you.

If this trip sounds daunting, you can drive over Chinook Pass (a gorgeous Mini drive if you leave early enough to avoid traffic) and still see Hwy 97, Satus Pass (not a real dramatic pass, but a scenic drive) and the Klickitat Canyon (a bucket-list Mini cruise, just watch out for deer and turkeys).

Dan
                Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

I'm going but trailering.....

Yes it's come to this.

Bringing my car to MMW on a trailer mostly because I don't trust my restraint on the hillclimb.

Cheers

Greg

Comment

Wow! Your car looks the biz, Greg!
                    Yeah, on the hill climb, it does give one pause.....
                    Best,
                    MSH
                    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Routes to MMW

BIGSHOT, that's quite the route. I put it into Google and at the speed limit, no stops it's a 7:08 drive, 340mi. That's from my place in South Seattle. Likely a 3 tanker.

My likely route is driving down via 410, 97 then 142. That route is around 5:00, 250mi from my place.

Personally I'm holding out hope that NFDR-25 around St Helens will be open in time.

Comment

I emailed the organizers about packet pickup Monday, wondering what time we'd need to be down there. They said,

"We don't have a definite cut off on Monday evening but I would think we'll hold the table open till about 8 (possibly 9 pm). But do keep in mind the same volunteers working the registration table are scheduled to help with the Show and Shine starting at 7:00am the next morning.

But if for some reason you are delayed Monday evening, you can pick up your packet on Tuesday morning at hospitality room between 8 and 9am.
                        We've got you covered!"

Comment

Check out the Blog for a write up and some photos from the event.
                          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

More has been added. If you checked it out early, look again.
                            The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

cannot find the MMW 2018 BLOG.

peter

Comment

Working...
                              X